Sydney siege aftermath: Man charged following alleged hate threats to Auburn mosque

Written by admin on 24/04/2020 Categories: 老域名

City “open for business”: Assistant Commissioner Michael Fuller in a file photo. Photo: Ben Rushton Outpouring of support: Floral tributes at Martin Place on Wednesday. Photo: Peter Rae

The 15 survivors bound together by tragedySydney siege ends – how it happenedMartin Place siege: more than 16 hours of terrorCameraman’s role in Sydney siegeSiege aftermath: Florists sell out as memorial grows

Hundreds of extra police will flood popular destinations in Sydney following the Martin Place siege and alleged hate threats, including hoax phone calls threatening to destroy a mosque in Auburn.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Fuller said police dealt with a number of “hate and bias” crimes following the fatal siege but said extra officers were being stationed across Sydney’s CBD to ensure people felt safe.

“There has been some issues of hate or bias crime but it’s certainly minimal compared to the outpouring of support and you’ve all seen the flowers at Martin Place,” Mr Fuller said.

The announcement of additional officers came as police arrested a man who allegedly made threatening phone calls to a mosque in Auburn in western Sydney.

Police allege the man, 30, rang the mosque and made several threats.

He was arrested at a Dural home in Sydney’s north-west and later charged with threatening to destroy property, using a carriage service to make a hoax threat, using a carriage service to threaten serious harm and offend.

The man was granted strict conditional bail and was expected to appear before Parramatta Local Court on January 21.

Mr Fuller said he wanted Sydneysiders to feel safe and that the city was “open for business”.

“You see people down at Martin Place the last few days, friends, families and strangers of those involved in the incident and we see the fear in their eyes,” he said.

“We want to let them know we are out there to make them feel safe and that they can go on with their business and that Sydney is open for business.”

He said there would be hundreds of extra officers working 24/7 under an operation named Hammerhead.

Mr Fuller said police still remained at the scene of the Lindt cafe siege but anticipated the examination of the area would be finished by the end of Wednesday.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 老域名.

Comments Off on Sydney siege aftermath: Man charged following alleged hate threats to Auburn mosque